Friday, February 17, 2017

Experiment #1: Map Making

If this doesn't make sense yet, I apologize. This is just to help me plan out the world I am planning on creating for the chapter I will share in class. Hopefully, it will make more sense once I actually read you guys the chapter!

Side note: In each chapter, they are going to a new place and only remain there for the duration of that chapter.

-Orange Grove: This will be where the story starts off. The color should reflect the mood of the scenes that take place here. Additionally, this is where we first are introduced to our protagonist as well as another crucial character. This is a central location in relation to the rest of the locations.
-Katie's House: This will become a sort of safe haven for our protagonist, especially when things start to go bad (I know this is vague but I am typically a pantser, so this is the most planning I've done in a long time for any writing project). Also, this character and her home are symbolic of purity and truth.
-The Estate: we meet "the hostess." She hosts all the big parties for the people in this world. All of our main characters are friends of hers, but this doesn't mean they all like her. The first night of summer scene takes place here. This is a few streets away from Katie's house.
-The Tennis Courts: Lola's tennis courts are kind of tucked away from the rest if the locations. The scene that takes place here is set in the evening. Elliot spends the majority of his time here as well. Elliot and Lola are close friends, but nothing more. They play tennis all day long.
-The Movie Set: This is where we meet Richard. Everything is very "Hollywood" in a verging on obnoxious way. He's the type of character that will either make you laugh or you are going to want to slap him or both.
-Cassandra's car: Cassandra takes the two main characters on a ride in her car. She is a bit of a wild driver and distracted very easily. Haven't quite decided where she is going to take them yet. Her car will be as wacky as she is.
-The Mountain: we meet our final character on top of this mountain. It has a beautiful view but is very difficult to climb up. It takes a lot of skill and perseverance. He does not want to show the two main characters his face.
-Hayden's church: This will be the final scene and big reveal. Things get very dark here.

This is by no means the final map. I definitely will change things around as I go. This is just my starting point.


1 comment:

  1. I love how you are using the "map" to help structure the chapters of your book. That's a very cool idea -- one that I don't think I've seen before.

    ReplyDelete